Life's hard.

It's even harder when you're stupid.

John Wayne

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Story of my life; with her letters (1887-1901) and a supplementary account of her education by Helen Keller and John Albert Macy ★★★☆☆



The Story of my life; with her letters (1887-1901) and a supplementary account of her education, including passages from the reports and letters of her ... Anne Mansfield Sullivan, by John Albert Macy
A remarkable true story!
Non Fiction – Biography/Autobiography
240 pages
Publication Date:  1976 (frankly this date is a bit murky in general, but the one my edition said)
(original publication without supplemental 1903)

The Story of My Life is the remarkable account of Helen Keller as expressed through her own words.  In it she describes the moments when she first connected words to objects, her great love of literature, friendships with prominent people of her time, and her mission to attend Radcliff College.  Included in this addition are letters written by Helen Keller showing her progress and a section devoted to Helen’s overall development as described by her loyal teacher and companion, Miss Anne Sullivan.

Helen Keller’s writing has a very poetic and introspective quality to it.  I really enjoyed hearing her voice.  This story puts flesh and blood to a hero of almost mythical proportions.  Her determination in the face of physical opposition was amazing and her humbleness in admitting trials and the occasional defeat honest.  She has no sense of entitlement only gratitude, which is truly incredible to see. 

Reading this book puts into sharp relief what Miss Sullivan must have given up and makes me even more curious about Anne Sullivan herself.  Reading her letters and reports was my favorite part of the book.  It gave a more complete picture of the sacrifice and love Miss Sullivan had for Helen.

I am only giving the book three stars, because it just couldn’t keep my attention for any real length of time.  I really got bogged down in the letters by Helen section.  While they show her progress over time, there were just too many of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I appreciate person's right to their own opinion - even when they disagree with me - please remember this blog is a place of respect for all. Keep it clean and temper your comments with kindness. Thank you!