Life's hard.

It's even harder when you're stupid.

John Wayne

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach ★★★☆☆


Not for the General Reader.
Non Fiction – Sexuality/Science/Psychology – Humor
319 pages
Publication Date:  January 1st 2008

Mary Roach takes us on an educational odyssey into the interesting - and certainly at times - strange marginalized world of sexual physiology –the study of what happens, why it happens and hopefully how to make it better.  With subjects ranging from sex study history to sex toys R&D labs and thinking yourself to an orgasm, this book looks at many differing aspects and attitudes involved in this secret or not so secret part of human lives.
Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex 
Sex is fun and can be very funny and I have to say I giggled a lot –in a good way- when I reserved Bonk (though personally I think Boink would have been a better name).  I also got an enormous inexplicable joy from sharing my newest read with my husband so we could giggle together.  As one of my first forays into this subject since my freshman year of college when I took a class called, Human Sexuality, taught by a hostile professor set on aggressively broadening my horizons and routing out the naiveté of my 18-year-old self (High School sex ed had in no way prepared me for this lady) this went alright.  Thankfully Roach has a more understanding manner, though not a much more delicate one, than my previous teacher.

Roach has a playful, but matter-of-fact writing style making a very charged subject more comfortable –though by no means relaxed.  Her genius for chapter titles and ability to put her real feelings and experiences researching and writing this book made me feel like I wasn’t alone as I wrestled with my own colorings and impressions of the info she presented. 

Overall this book is quite the trip.  I definitely experienced “What the hell?” moments that stuck with me.  At times I laughed out loud and other times I cringed as my over active imagination supplied me with images I can never unsee. It took me awhile to get through it as I wrestled with my feelings on the wide variety of subjects and I would say this isn’t your typical one sit read.  This book deserves a chance to be absorbed and thought over, not rushed through like a racer only looking for the finished line.

Caution:  This is not a book for the general reader and definitely only for older somewhat(which always is relative) mature readers, but I do have to say I liked it.

ISBN  0393064646 (ISBN13: 9780393064643)

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I appreciate person's right to their own opinion - even when they disagree with me - please remember this blog is a place of respect for all. Keep it clean and temper your comments with kindness. Thank you!