Life's hard.

It's even harder when you're stupid.

John Wayne

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Happy, Happy, Happy by Phil Robertson ★★★☆☆

A fan favorite
Non Fiction - Autobiography
224 pages

Publication Date:  2013

Written by the patriarch of the Robertson Clan and original Duck Commander and bearded star of Duck Dynasty, Phil Robertson, this book shares what went into shaping Phil, his family and their business.

Happy, Happy, HappyFirst of all, this book will very obviously appeal mostly to the Duck Dynasty fan.  Clean, quick flowing writing, with a good helping of fun told in Phil’s unique voice marks every chapter and direct storytelling, with straight-forward unabashed values (you don’t have to agree with everything he believes in to appreciate this story).  His story is a true American dream story.  Through gumption, hard work and God, Phil pulled together his life.  He came up from being dirt poor and making horrible life decisions to getting it together and creating a full, purposeful life for him and his family.  These are the kind of stories that fuel the American imagination.
Okay, one blanket statement for the technical duck stuff.  I am not a duck hunter, so I’ll be honest, I found those sections boring.  However, I could see how someone interested in those things would really like them.

Side Note:  I read this book before any the controversy surrounding Phil came up, but I have to say that doesn't change my view of this memoir, though it did give me pause for a moment before posting.  I chose to go ahead with it, because it just illustrates to me another example of our society’s intolerance toward different viewpoints.  Sure as humans we are all naturally judgey, but there is a line.  When does one aspect define a whole person be that Phil or someone who is gay.  I find it sad in our society that we have gotten to a point where instead of having an open dialogue – and yes I’m talking to conservatives and liberals alike – we call each other idiots and refuse to give each other the basic respect each human being deserves.  I don’t agree with many of my friends and family members’ decisions or even a lot of the world’s at large, but I also don’t need to agree with them.  I have enough to deal with just holding my own self and actions accountable (yeah, and my kids too of course - we are raising trying to raise responsible adults, people).  All I need to do is love them; the rest of it is between them and God.  

1 comment:

  1. What a terrific review. I agree totally. I have enough trouble making my own mind upand keeping it. As I've grown older things I held to be infallible have proven just the opposite.

    ReplyDelete

While I appreciate person's right to their own opinion - even when they disagree with me - please remember this blog is a place of respect for all. Keep it clean and temper your comments with kindness. Thank you!