Life's hard.

It's even harder when you're stupid.

John Wayne

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Wicked Business by Janet Evanovich ★★★☆☆



Wicked Business (Lizzy & Diesel, #2)

Evanovich is starting to renew my faith in her!
Fiction – Mystery – Urban Fantasy
299 pages
Publication Date:  January 1st 2012
Lizzy & Diesel #2


The Luxria Stone, believed to contain the power of lust, surfaces with the murder of English professor Gilbert Reedy, and Diesel and Lizzy are hot on its trail.  Racing against Wulf and a new mysterious player to get to the stone first Lizzy and Diesel follow clues from a book of nineteenth-century sonnets in Prof. Reedy’s collection guiding them through historic Boston.  Pilfering churches, historic residences, creating public disturbances and ultimately navigating their way through creepy catacombs Lizzy and Diesel’s chaotic and outlandish journey creates unexpected and high cost results for more than one person.

It was a bit of a slow start and the writing was a little choppy, but this novel was a marked improvement on Wicked Appetite, with a more thought out plot line and better pacing of action and suspense.  My buy in was a lot higher this time, meaning I actually cared somewhat about what happened.  I felt more connected to the characters and found the sequence of events able to hold my attention.  Wulf is starting to become a more fleshed out character and I enjoyed the different dynamic in the group of characters when a new more potent villain was introduced.  Over all I am much happier and the Lizzy & Diesel series has won a sort of reprieve.  With some reservation I plan on reading the next book- with tempered hopes of it improving even more- instead of abandoning the series like I planned if I didn’t see enough progress.

ISBN  0345527771 (ISBN13: 9780345527776)

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I appreciate person's right to their own opinion - even when they disagree with me - please remember this blog is a place of respect for all. Keep it clean and temper your comments with kindness. Thank you!