Life's hard.

It's even harder when you're stupid.

John Wayne

Friday, September 7, 2012

The Dark Hills Divide by Patrick Carman★★☆☆☆


Where’s the Spark?
Fiction – Juvenile - High Fantasy
Age Level: 9 and up  Grade Level: 4 and up
272 pages
Publication Date: December 28th 2004
Land of Elyon #1

Twelve-year-old Alexa Daley has always dreamed of escaping beyond the high walls surrounding the complex of cities that make up her world to the wilderness outside.  While on her annual summer trip to Bridewell a chance presents itself when the community founder Thomas Warvold passes away.  Left with a key and a mystery Alexa finds a path to freedom and danger.  Intercepted by a group of unusual allies Alexa is given knowledge of a sinister plot with its roots in the beginning of creation of her community and a mystery man controlling the event.  With those Alexa holds dearest in danger Alexa must find a way to pass on her knowledge and unmask the mystery man behind everything before it’s too late.

The Dark Hills Divide (The Land of Elyon #1)This book was just below okay and rather disappointing for me.  To be fair I will say that the concept was interesting and writing decent.  True I was never quite sure what to make of Alexa, but she wasn’t the most immediate issue I faced while reading.  The real problem was the missing spark of life.  The point where the story went from something you read to a place you could occupy in your imagination. 

When I read Harry Potter I attended Hogwarts with him.  I felt all the elation of a Quidditch win and the heart break of Dumbledore’s death – okay more than just heart break I cried through like the first five readings of the Half Blood Prince.  In Anne of Green Gables I giggled when Anne broke the slate on Gilbert Blythe’s head and felt a thrill when she finally got to wear puff sleeves.  I mean I named my daughter Avonlea for heaven sake.  With the Dark Hills Divide I never felt that compulsion to enter into the Land of Elyon. 

I found the lifelessness more sad than anything else (especially since writing a book is a lot of work).  I have read books much more mundane in their concepts and the writing with a lot to wish for, but they had the life giving spark which made a world of difference.  I’m giving it the two stars, because I certainly didn’t dislike it, but I also have no real love for it.  Ever the optimist though, I have decided not give up on Patrick Carman as an author and concede –or possibly hope- this might just be a fluke in this book.


ISBN 0439700930 (ISBN13: 9780439700931)

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I appreciate person's right to their own opinion - even when they disagree with me - please remember this blog is a place of respect for all. Keep it clean and temper your comments with kindness. Thank you!