Life's hard.

It's even harder when you're stupid.

John Wayne

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Slice of Murder by Chris Cavender ★★★☆☆


It’s a Gamble
Fiction – Mystery (Cozy)
304 pages
Publication Date:  August 1st 2009
Pizza Lovers #1

Eleanor Swift thinks she has all she can handle spending her time trying to keep A Slice of Delight pizza parlor in the black and getting over the death of her husband, but the little town of Timber Ridge is about to become a lot less sleepy, and Eleanor is smack dab in the middle of the excitement.  Making a last minute pizza delivery Eleanor finds the dead body of her customer plunging her into a mystery with far reaching consequences for some the town’s most prominent citizens.
A Slice of Murder (Pizza Lovers,  #1)

Okay, so admittedly the name of this book sounds like a title for a Psych episode and whenever I read it the voice in my head is Shawn Spencer drawing out the word murder.  Which is probably 87% of the reason I read it, but of course I’ve read things for far less reasonable reasons and tend to take on the attitude of “what the hell”.  I apologize if you had higher expectations for my taste in books, but I also refuse to take any real ownership for your dashed hopes.  And while I love you my fellow readers and appreciate your willingness to hear my thoughts and opinions on subjects far beyond my understanding and education my advice would be get over it, because apparently none of my limitations will stop me from spouting off –occasionally unfounded – opinions (why else would I have a blog?).  That aside I want to preface my review with the idea that reading this book is a gamble.  For the first hundred pages I planned on making it a two starrer but in the second hundred pages it managed to squeak itself into the three star range.  So here are my findings.

The action starts from the very first sentence(a plus).  The pacing is a little hectic and definitely uncomfortable (big minus).  I liked the small town atmosphere, but didn’t need to be continually slapped in the face with it.  The humor was a bit forced, but eventually I did become mildly interested in the plot and felt some sympathy for Eleanor.  This book wasn’t taxing to read and that is on occasion very desirable when you just need a break.  On the other hand you could find other books like this of a higher caliber.

Overall I’ve came away from this book with kind of a “meh” feeling, meaning I could take it or leave it.  Rather unhelpful, I know, but unfortunately that’s all I’ve got.

ISBN  0758229488 (ISBN13: 9780758229489)

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I appreciate person's right to their own opinion - even when they disagree with me - please remember this blog is a place of respect for all. Keep it clean and temper your comments with kindness. Thank you!