Life's hard.

It's even harder when you're stupid.

John Wayne

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth ★★★★☆

Divergent (Divergent, #1)


What would your choice be?
Fiction – YA –Dystopia
Reading level: Ages 13 and up
487 pages
Publication Date:  April 28th 2011
Divergent Book #1
Literary awards: ALA Teens' Top Ten Nominee (2012), Children's Choice Book Award Nominee for Teen Choice Book of the Year (2012), Abraham Lincoln Award Nominee (2014), DABWAHA Romance Tournament for Best Young Adult Romance (2012), Goodreads Choice for Favorite Book of 2011 and for Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction (2011)


Beatrice Prior lives in divided society where each faction holds a particular virtue above all others.  Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent).   At the age of sixteen each person takes a test and then must decide which faction they wish to join and support.  Torn between her own desires and choosing the faction of her family, she must decide where she belongs and she hopes the test will help her make the decision.  But Beatrice’s results are both unique and deadly beyond her understanding.  With no help from the test, and told to keep the results a secret, she makes a choice that is even surprising to her. 

Renaming herself, Tris, she throws herself wholeheartedly into the competitive initiation trying to live up to the life and future she has chosen.  But Tris’ perfect world is unraveling around her and the conflicts between the factions are intensifying.  Tris’ greatest secret may have the power to save if it doesn’t get her killed first.

Okay I admit I am a writing style snob as any of you can attest to if you’ve read my posts.  I have very definite ideas of what I like and if you gave me a description of writing as straight forward and no frills I would immediately and passionately dislike it until my better sense of fairness caught up with me.  But in Divergent the straight forward style is a virtue.  I immediately took to this book from page one.  The writing was raw and not real big on detail, but the action and emotion was so absorbing I didn’t even notice and had no time to critique the writing with my usual vim and vigor. 

I had this book for about two weeks before I started it.  I was really nervous about reading another depressing dystopia book, but I shouldn’t have been.  Roth was cunning little spider weaving her web around me and reeling me in page by page, development by development.  I became so enthralled with the story as I read I really hated putting it down to go to sleep.  Sleep at that point seemed a waste of time compared to what was happening to Tris.  I fell in love with Tris and connected with her from page one.  Her vulnerability and yearning coupled with her strength was something I could identify with.  I felt like I could really understand her and her motivations.

Veronica Roth is a true talent.  Divergent was polished, deliberate and refined and all the more amazing for being a first book.  Roth has a real understanding of character development, storytelling and creation of a book world.  I see great things in her future and know this will not be the only series she does.  Now all I have to do is track down Insurgent, because my library doesn’t have it!


ISBN 0062024027 (ISBN13: 9780062024022)

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I appreciate person's right to their own opinion - even when they disagree with me - please remember this blog is a place of respect for all. Keep it clean and temper your comments with kindness. Thank you!