Life's hard.

It's even harder when you're stupid.

John Wayne

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary by David Sedaris ★★★☆☆



Guilty Pleasure?
Fiction – Short Stories (Adult)
159 pages
Publication Date: 2010
Literary awards: Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Humor (2010)

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest BestiaryA collection of dark animal fables illustrating the absurd in humans.


Opinion on this collection of irreverent short stories seems to be fairly divided.  With its offbeat dark humor and shock factor, this collection of short stories was either loved or hated by reviewers.  While not a series of comfortable, happy little stories with happy endings I rather enjoyed them.  Once I was able to get past my shock (somewhat due to all of children’s books I read about animals) I found it as funny as hell.  It was an interesting commentary on people and our interactions and idiosyncrasies and I enjoyed David Sedaris view of the world.  But I have to say it almost felt like a guilty pleasure.  While I read it I had the vague feeling it was naughty to laugh, but I wasn’t quite sure why.  Perhaps the mom-factor coupled with the fact it was animal stories made it a bit uncomfortable, but of course that was really the point.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I appreciate person's right to their own opinion - even when they disagree with me - please remember this blog is a place of respect for all. Keep it clean and temper your comments with kindness. Thank you!