Life's hard.

It's even harder when you're stupid.

John Wayne

Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Borrowers by Mary Norton ★★★★☆



A joyful foray into the world of possibilities.
Fiction – Juvenile - Fantasy
Age Range: 9 and up
180 pages
Publication Date: 1952
The Borrowers #1
Carnegie Medal in Literature 1952

The Borrowers (The Borrowers #1)Arriety is a Borrower, a race of miniscule people who live in the houses of human Beans and borrower from them to live.  Pod, Arriety’s father, wants to teach her the ways of survival, but Arriety rather see what the world outside is like.

I picked up this book with every intention of being delighted and I would have to say in the past sometimes these high expectations have led to crushing disappointment, but not in the case of The Borrowers.  Even after 50 years in print and dramatic shifts in our culture I found this book to be ageless.  The storytelling style is very homey and comfortable and the story just carries you along for joyful little foray into the world of possibilities.  And the idea of Borrower’s living in houses just lit up my imagination with a childlike wonderment.  I loved the delightful descriptions of the things they borrowed and how they used them with detailed illustrations to accompany.  I just adored it.



ISBN  0152099875 (ISBN13: 9780152099879)

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I appreciate person's right to their own opinion - even when they disagree with me - please remember this blog is a place of respect for all. Keep it clean and temper your comments with kindness. Thank you!