Life's hard.

It's even harder when you're stupid.

John Wayne

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game by Michael Lewis ★★★★☆

The Blind Side: Evolution of a GameA real life hero’s tale.
Non Fiction –Biography/Sports
352 pages
Publication Date: September 17th 2006
Literary Awards: ALA Alex Award (2007), Iowa High School Book Award Nominee (2011)

This is the story of Michael Oher, a man who went from a homeless teen to a football phenom.  Taken in by a wealthy family while in high school he benefited from their financial resources, but mostly their love.  With their help Michael a new support system and his God given talent Michael was propelled into a beyond everyone’s hopes and expectations for his life.


This well done account, which is mostly told from people’s perspective of Michael, was a story with a lot of heart.  Mr. Lewis is very talented and a wonderful story teller with great material.  His pacing was perfect while the writing was crisp and clear. This fascinating and true story just carries you along without over loading you right from the beginning of the well done intro.  There is of course a lot of football history which I got lost in a bit.  I mean, I did find the football part interesting but Michael was the real draw.  If you are into football however I think that it would definitely add to the enjoyment, but I didn’t find myself at a real disadvantage for not being a fan.  I found the conclusion a little sad, but frankly I don’t truly believe that it is the conclusion of the story.  Life keeps moving and each forward step we take in loving others has ripple effects even if we can’t see them clearly.  A great story about how people can positively affect others when they care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I appreciate person's right to their own opinion - even when they disagree with me - please remember this blog is a place of respect for all. Keep it clean and temper your comments with kindness. Thank you!