Life's hard.

It's even harder when you're stupid.

John Wayne

Thursday, December 13, 2012

With Courage and Cloth: Winning the Fight for a Woman's Right to Vote by Ann Bausum ★★★★☆



A part of American History not focused on nearly enough.
Non Fiction – History – Children’s
Reading level: Ages 10 and up
112 pages
Publication Date:  2004
National Geographic Children's Books

With Courage and Cloth: Winning the Fight for a Woman's Right to Vote “If Eve, the first woman God ever made, was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back and get it right side again.  And now (that) they are asking to do it, the men better let them!”  Sojourner Truth – conclusion to the “Aint’t I a woman” speech, May 29, 1851, Woman’s Rights Convention in Akron, Ohio.

This National Geographic Book written by Ann Bausum is inspired by a childhood meeting Bausum had with famous (or infamous, depending on the time period) suffragist Alice Paul.  This book brings to life the difficulties and history behind the suffragist battle for women’s right to vote.  It helps the reader understand this was more than just something that happened, but an achievement produced by many supporters and sacrifices over a long period of time.

I became interested in this subject when I went to turn in my ballot for this last election.  I was making my way into our local elections office to drop off my ballot with my daughters and trying to explain to my five year old about civic duty and the need to make our voices heard when it struck me it hadn’t always been a duty for women, but a right that had to be fought for.  In school I don’t recall too much being said about the history of the Women’s right to vote and decided then and there it was time I started to educate myself. 

The format was a little unexpected for me, but I attribute that to my own lack of awareness when I was doing research into the subject.  Sometimes trying to find books available at my small library on subjects I’m interested in is a little difficult.  This, however, did prove to be a valuable overview on American women’s fight for the right to vote.  Heroes like Alice Paul need to be remembered.  They remind us we have the power to change our society with dedication, perseverance and hard work – ideas I would like to instill into my children.  They also remind us to not take lightly our rights and to jealously covet them from those who would try and lessen them.

This book is written for children, but I found it invaluable.  Written in easy to digest, but poignant bits of information, it provides snap shots of the main players and a sequence of event leading up to the final goal.  The pictures and quotes artfully featured throughout the book highlight attitudes and the era in which the last push took place. The Bibliography provides a great guide for further reading.  There is also a section giving information about some of the main women supporters, helping clarify who each one is ( when reading the story I found on occasion I got the people mixed up and this section helped straighten out everything beautifully).  This is a book I plan on adding to my children’s book shelf and is worthy to be added to all children’s libraries.

Fun Side Note:  My mother’s side of the family came from southern Oregon and there has been some reference to the Yoncalla, Oregon’s 1920 all-female city council in some history books I’ve read.  It was touted as a great victory for women, but from the writings of family members surrounding this “great victory for women’s rights” it seems what really happened was the women got tired of the men not getting anything done – as can occur – so they kicked them out and took over (which frankly I find hilarious).  I’m not sure exactly how much of it had to do with women’s right verses angry frustration, either way it seemed to work out.

ISBN  0792276477 (ISBN13: 9780792276470)

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I appreciate person's right to their own opinion - even when they disagree with me - please remember this blog is a place of respect for all. Keep it clean and temper your comments with kindness. Thank you!